Operation Seven-Day Shed (Day Two - Monday)
Shed construction: being!
The site was cleared yesterday and I know what I'm building (or, at least, I have a pretty good idea).
First, a trip to the Home Depot to buy the materials I didn't already have on hand:
- One 23/32" 4' x 8' OSB for the floor.
- Five pressure-treated 8' 2x4 for the sub-floor (the pressure treated stuff, while awful, resists rot and decay better than non-treated 2x4s)
- Six 5mm 4' x 8' plywood (basically Luan) for the walls (I was going to use Handipanel or somesuch but it was cost-prohibitive).
One 3/8" 4' x 8' RTD Sheating for the roof (3/8"? I thought I bought 1/2"! How did I not notice that?)
(spoiler alert: I made a mistake and forgot that the roof was going to be bigger than 4' x 8' - I should have bought 50% more material for the roof than I did.)
Twenty-nine 8' 2x3 for all stud walls
(I was originally going to use 2x4s but the 2x3s were cheaper and perfectly sufficient for this little construction - additionally, I get an extra couple inches of interior space using these)
- One box 1.25" coated screws (to attach siding to stud walls; I used existing 2" drywall screws for everything else)
- One pack of 25-year shingles (the cheapest I could find) (again, I should have bought a second pack!)
(Total cost of new materials (so-far): $173.84)
Since I don't like painting I decided I should do that first to get most of it out of the way. The floor board got two coats of Killz (on both sides, eventually), while the 5mm sheets all got one coat on one side (they'll get more, later). During the painting process I ran out of Killz (I had two half-empty buckets) and so had to run to the local Ace Hardware to get another gallon. I also bought another gallon of exterior grade house paint that [nearly] matches the color of my house. That's the color I'll be painting the shed, as well.
(Updated new materials cost: $219.08)
While waiting for the paint to dry I put together the sub-floor. Very easy! Then I hauled it over to the site and set about trying to level it. The site was a mish-mash of poured concrete, old pavers and dirt. I grabbed my level and started shoving bricks under the corners until the entire thing was almost-perfectly level. I feel like I got lucky here; I was afraid I was going to have to cobble together a horrible system of random pavers, bricks and stones to get it level but it took very little effort and it's only a little bit dodgy!
By this point the paint was dry so I installed the floor board onto the subfloor. And since I still had some time left over I built the north and south stud walls (but didn't have time to mount them).